Mary J. Drexel is now The Hearth at Drexel
The historic Mary J. Drexel Home, which formerly served the personal care and skilled nursing needs of senior residents on the Main Line for more than 100 years, is now “The Hearth at Drexel.” The name change represents a new approach to senior living, as the community gets closer to reopening in 2014.
Mary J. Drexel was purchased by Liberty Lutheran in 2008. Since then, the property has been undergoing a renovation to accommodate a completely new Assisted Living Community that will provide a full range of supportive services to residents. John D. Lankenau established The Mary J. Drexel Home for the Aged in memory of his wife in 1888. Since its founding, it has earned a reputation for value, comfort and security. Now known as The Hearth at Drexel, it will continue that tradition, with a top-to-bottom renovation that includes a restoration of the historic mansion that anchors four new household-type communities to accommodate a total of 80 residents. The Hearth’s new approach to senior living features comfortably appointed residences and common areas, including a kitchen, dining room, living room and gardens, designed to bring people together rather than remain in isolated apartments. The Hearth at Drexel is licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to provide Assisted Living care.